8 Family Health and Fitness Tips for 2023
Get moving, get outdoors and stay fit as a family this year and beyond
Get can’t-miss family activities sent to you!
Get the Best Family Activities
3. Warm up and cool down - Don't underestimate the importance of a good warm up and cool down together before and after exercise (like stretching or yoga). Practice controlled breathing with slow inhalations (and slower exhalations) to calm and energize the body.
4. Stay hydrated - Drink plenty of water and fluids before, during and after exercise.
5. Cut down on sugar - Monitor your sugar consumption. Sports drinks and juices are great, but make sure they are low-sugar. You can also dilute high-sugar drinks with water to reduce sugar content.
6. Keep it convenient - Sometimes making exercise more convenient will keep you and your family on track. Consider setting up a home gym that everyone can access with simple exercise equipment such as bands, physioballs, weights and mats.
7. Get outdoors - On mild or high temperature days, get outside for natural sunlight early in the day to set your circadian rhythm to help you sleep well.
8 - Learn a new sport for life - Check out free sports programs in your neighborhood, such as the City Parks Play free youth programs in local NYC parks. It's a great place to start learning a new, healthy program for life.
Main image: Tomwang112/Getty Images